Wednesday 6 November 2013

DON'T FORGET THE PAST

don't forget the past
This might sound funny and stupid because it's quite contrary to what many people say and believe Forget about the past and move on. As for me, I don't entirely agree with this.

Most of my life's lessons are from my past experience. Those days when I was naïve and stupid and foolish. Those days when all I cared about was the present. Those days when I spent money carelessly and never saved. Those days when I paid little attention to what will add to me and to personal development. Those days when I made the wrong decisions/choices my actions and inactions. To say that I don't regret them is more like deceiving myself.

That's in the past, right? Yes. And I should forget about it, right? No. How do you think I can be a better person if I just forget about the past? Guys, I would rather let it stick in my memory learn from it, so that I will not make the same mistakes again.

Just some weeks ago, I was worried because, considering my age, I thought it was too late to make amends and start afresh. But after talking to some people (thanks to social media), they said it's not too late. So to get it right this time, I need the memories of the past.

So the statement should not be, "Forget about the past and move on.", rather, it should be, "Never get locked up in the past, learn from it and move on."

Those in support say "Aye". Those against say "Nay". Better still, kindly share your views in the comment section.


My name is Mr. Highzik…and I am a learner.

Image credit: Metacentricities

4 comments:

  1. Well said! It's not even possible to totally forget about the past, you get to remember once in a while when you experience something similar to it. It's better to learn from it in order to be a better person. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not the type to forget my past easily... My past has taught me valuable lessons of life..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course. And don't stop learning. We learn, not just from mistakes, but also successes.

      Delete